I really want to know!
- What do you do for your job?
My job is mostly about Marketing my product.
- Direct Sales off the Boat
- Operate tours of my farm and industry in Humboldt Bay
- Wholesale to Seafood Markets, Restaurants
Another big part is education of the public and civic leaders
- Chamber of Commerce mixers
- Attend public hearings and Government meetings
- Speaking engagements
The farming foundation of my job
- plant and harvest oysters
- manage crop rotation, plan for future needs
- Maintain equipment and make it better for the job required
- Maintain and update permits required for operations
- How did you get into working at Aqua- Rodeo Farms?
Old friend became a business partner and funded start up operations
- had connections in the industry to secure sub lease
- desire to start small business
- worked with shellfish nursery for 5 years for practical experience
- How does your job contribute to the economy?
- for every 100 dollars in oysters I sell I reinvest 70-85 back into the economy to continue business operations.
- materials and infrastructure
- oyster seed
- How is your job related to Agriculture?
- I plant a seed
- my farm is defined space
- I harvest a product for human consumption
- Seasonal conditions play a big part in production
- growth rates
WORK EXPERIENCE: Sebastian “Oyster Dude”
2012-Present Humboldt Bay Tourism Center Eureka, CA
- Maintain adequate Bucksport oyster inventory for ongoing sale of prepared and to go orders.
- Advise and consult on other oyster sources as needed.
- Train staff on oyster handling and best practices with regards to oysters and condiments
- Participate in weekly Tuesday promotion Buck a Shuck and monthly Arts Alive in Eureka
- Be a persistent referral generator for the Center to the general public
1997-Present Aqua-Rodeo Farms Eureka, CA
- Maintain wholesale accounts, Accounts Receivable(Wave Accounting), Shellfish Harvest Records(HACCP Certified)
- Maintain relations with regulators, elected officials, and industry peers
- Train employees to standards, work ethic, quality control, and safety/hazard awareness
- Customer relations for Direct Sales, Wholesale, Touring Operations
- Maintain systems that enable the quantity and quality of work to be accomplished
Winter 2005, 2006 Local Fish Company King Salmon, CA
Site Manager/Purchasing Agent
- Maintained inventory of crab and purchased as needed direct from fishing vessels
- Maintained purchase records as per Fish and Game regulations
- Cooked and cleaned crab
- Use cash register, program cash register and utilize report functions
- Completed daily cleaning duties in the store
- Received and filled phone orders
- Drove forklift
- Scheduled employees to control labor costs
Winter 1999 Abalone International Crescent City, CA
- Analyzed systems for efficiency on the farm
- Worked with staff to learn techniques and critical control points of processes in place
- Cleaned and maintained plumbing and water pumps
- Fabricated and maintained abalone cages
- Prepared feed and fed abalone
EDUCATION & ASSOCIATIONS:
- Humboldt State University 1997 Arcata, CA
B.S. Wildlife Management /Minor Industrial Technology
- Seafood HACCP Certified 2006
- Business Networking International